Monday, March 10, 2008

Hmmmm...

I've lately been thinking about the differences between "secular" fiction and Christian fiction...at least the glaringly obvious differences. Christian themes, right? Let's see....Christian morals exemplified. Usually some dynamic character who gradually changes his/her perception of truth. All good.

But there is one really huge difference that may or may not be so great. A lot of people call this sanitizing the truth. Stopping short of reality. Not going into it, really, if it is something that could offend. Obviously, this is important in some instances: those same instances that make the lit. "safe" for anyone to read. But I just think there are some instances where we shouldn't be quite so guarded.

My question is: by taking away from the reality, are we taking away from the truth? By not revealing the ugly of the ugly, are we veiling the beauty of the beautiful?

I may not be making sense to anyone but me, but that is okay. If I do make sense, let me know what you think.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What you are saying totally makes sense to me. I think some people just don't want to read the ugly, though. Maybe if by reading it, it makes them feel as if they are in a way condoning it. I do think you are right that in a way if someone does that, they are taking away from truth.