Thursday, April 26, 2007

milemarkers

So I've decided to start a blog about my journey writing the novel--it's really setting in that I have far to go. If you read my devotional blog, Thursday's Child, I'll just tell you now that this is not going to be like that. If you are interested in devotional thoughts, this is going to bore you. If you're interested in discussing critiquing, publishing, and some literary theory, then maybe you'll get something out of this with me.

The general process is getting kind of overwhelming, and I think it would be good to get some feedback about the things I'm experiencing from someone else. Writing in a household of four kids is not easy, especially since I cannot write at night. I think I am too drained, or whatever. I have little creativity (unless I'm wide awake from caffeine, in which case the morning that follows is never good). I started with an outline, which has evolved somewhat, and now I feel more unsure of what I am doing here. On the other hand, I think what I have is more involved and riskier, which could equal more exciting, but I don't know.

I'm also trying to figure out where to go from here. I'm "almost done" with the first draft, and I really miss the environmental editing of college writing courses. Professors are ideal editors: you know their motives and credentials. An awesome friend of mine is serving as a kind of "pre-editor" simply because she is interested in my novel, and wanted to read it. This has been great for me, but I wish I knew someone professionally and personally in this line of work.

Thoughts? Arguments? Sympathy:)?

More later...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't let go of that awesome friend! She is a special find.

I'm also not sure that professors are ideal editors. Academic style is quite a bit different from trade. Some professors appreciate trade books, but most of them spend their time reading literary works and academic journals. That is all wonderful and necessary, but it doesn't sell particularly well.

And if you are writing for publication, you need to know the raw truth. Books are a business.

That's it. Have fun. Write great stories. But if you want to sell books, keep that business stuff in the back of your mind at all times. Who am I writing for? How am I going to help them find my book? Why would they buy my book? What will they get from reading my book?

The more specific you can be in your answers, the better.

I don't know if this overly long comment counts as a thought, an argument, or sympathy... Or all of the above?

Just keep writing!

Karen said...

Chanda, I'm impressed with the progress icon that shows how many words you've written on your novel! This shows your persistence.

I've just tagged you for EIGHT RANDOM FACTS BLOG TAG!

First, these are the rules:
1. Each player starts with eight random facts/habits about themselves.
2. People who are tagged need to write their own blog about their eight
things and post these rules.
3. At the end of your blog, you need to choose eight people to get tagged
and list their names.
4. Don't forget to leave them a comment telling them they're tagged, and to read your blog.

I'd love to have you join our game of tag.

Read my Eight Random Things at my ShoutLife blog:
http://shoutlife.com/profile_view.cfm

Gina Conroy said...

Well get a critique group going this summer! And what to do next, I'd say if you can swing it, plan on attending ACFW in Dallas!!!!

I'm also impressed that you're almost finished. Early on I would edit my chapters so much that I wouldn't move on and have several unfinished WIPs because of it. This time I'm determined to finish my current WIP before the end of summer!