Thursday, May 10, 2007

Predicting the unexpected

This Thursday thing is becoming a running theme, although I didn't really intend it. I love Thursday's--probably my favorite day of the week. I like anticipation, and that's what Thursday is. Besides, Survivor comes on Thursday's, which I considered my favorite show up until a month ago. Now, Lost is becoming a contender and will probably take the lead.

What I love about Lost is the constant fluctuation in plot structure, even in protagonist. You never know what you'll get when you sit down to an episode--which I'm sure annoys some people. That's what I'm curious about: is complete abandonment of the predictable in favor of the inconceivable something that the viewer appreciates? Or is this simply irritating? Does the viewer want to be able to follow his own reason as to how the story will end? Is level of mystery surrounding the plot an element that needs to be controlled?

Personally, I am consistently impressed by the writers of Lost. I think the twists are what bring me back week after week. But I have heard others criticize the show as too "far out." By that expression, I wonder if they are saying they'd like a firmer grip on the probable outcome(s). I think there must be two types of viewers. a)The viewer who craves the unpredictable and the unexpected b)The viewer who would like to predict the unexpected or expect the unpredictable, to an extent at least. How else would shows like Dawson's Creek have survived?

Which, of course, leads me to think there must be two types of readers. If you get me here, and have a thought, please share. I really am wondering.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have seen Lost a few times and always liked it, but then I hear people say that you have to watch it from the beginning in order to understand the show at all. So I don't know if when I watch it I just think I know what is going on when I really have no clue. I just always forget to watch it because I never remember when it comes on.

I think that you are right about there being two different kinds of readers. I like unexpected things to happen in books, movies, and TV. I love that feeling when I am totally caught off guard and everything I thought was not as it seemed at all.

Christina Tarabochia said...

Look at the characters and how the producers can manipulate our emotions! Last session, Charlie was driving me nuts...last night, I couldnt' wait for him to kiss Claire. That's masterful story-telling.

Nice blog, BTW. Come by mine if you get a chance. Also, I'd love it if you came by www.ashberrylane.net and subscribed for our very infrequent newsletter. ;-)

Oh, and how did you get your link to your blog to show on shoutlife?