Thursday, August 30, 2007

the sequel

I started the sequel to my first novel today; well, I started writing the actual ms today. I already have a running outline in my head and partially on paper -- a little complex (big surprise) -- but exciting for me. Much better than writing the synopsis, put it that way. I'm a little overwhelmed, like I was beginning the first one, but I know that will pass, and I'm trying to push all thoughts of a deadline out of my mind. I'm feeling energized, more than anything, making up another story, and I want to take my time. What could be more fun?

I've been spending a lot of time thinking about my protagonist, and how she would have changed since we last saw her. I'm also thinking thematically about what I want to say in this one. The last one was easy -- she was still pliable and uncommitted. Now she has been molded and has made some decisions that have to play out in the future. I have to work within the framework of her character more this time, since much of it has already been developed, and bring her to some understanding within the environment I have established. I also have a few loose ends to attend to from last time, and those have given me a sense of reassurance. I definitely know where to begin, which is always good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on starting the sequel! I know it will be great.